meta name="verify-v1" content="mxUXSoJWEFZKrtw31+uRroeKyRmf49ADfeiAbP3JB2o=" / Arizona Martial Gym: closed fist vs. open fist part deux

Thursday, January 17, 2008

closed fist vs. open fist part deux

I want to revisit this topic for a second. I won't rehash what I wrote about in my earlier post on this topic, but since it is something that continues to be debated, I wanted to throw something else out there that I didn't address before.

One of the concerns the pro-open hand people often cite with striking with a closed fist is the chance of damage to the small bones of the hand. I believe this is a legitimate concern and something that should be taken into account. HOWEVER, the open hand people never seem to follow through on their logic and take it a step further. By this I mean, they never seem to address the fact that while you have a chance of doing damage to knuckles and the other (relatively) weak bones of the hand, I think the chance is even greater of causing great harm to the extremely vulnerable fingers during an open handed strike.

The open hand proponents seem to imply that you have nothing at all to worry about by leaving all those weak digits dangling out there while you ram your palm with full force into the skull of another person. But it has been my experience that not only is it easy and very common to jam or torque fingers past the point of injury, it is extremely debilitating. As I am writing this, I am nursing a jammed thumb that is VERY painful. How did I injure it? During clinch work with an OPEN HAND! Let me tell you, it was not easy to get through the rest of the training session even going fairly light with the pain I was feeling. And I didn't even do it on that hard a surface (it was the floating ribs and waist that rammed my thumb). I am trying to imagine right now what if I had been driving it at full speed at solid bone. I shudder to think about it.

So what is my point? Simply this. Hitting bone with any force and making contact with ANY part of the hand is a crapshoot. You can get injured and possibly your fighting ability severely compromised either hitting with a closed fist or an open palm. This is an important debate and it should be discussed, but only with an even playing field where both sides can present all the pros and cons of their side. Implying that an open palm somehow turns your fist into Superman's is foolish and weakens your overall argument.

No comments: