meta name="verify-v1" content="mxUXSoJWEFZKrtw31+uRroeKyRmf49ADfeiAbP3JB2o=" / Arizona Martial Gym: an insight into Megaton

Monday, October 10, 2005

an insight into Megaton

Here is a little anecdote that reveals a little bit about Megaton's ability and his mindset. It is very illustrative and pretty damn funny at the same time.

I had bought a DVD called Grapplebook. In it there is a section on Eddie Bravo doing the twister. It is not really a move I see using myself much, but I still liked it. Since the overall DVD was pretty good, I loaned it to Megaton. After he watched it, I asked him his thoughts on the twister. He didn't like it, since he thought it was a "sloppy" move, like a neck crank or heel hook, as opposed to a "finese" move like a choke or armbar. He said it worked, but it wasn't his kind of move to do much. So later that class, we were rolling. It was my turn to be on the sidelines (we had uneven numbers that day), so I was watching Megaton rolling. I blinked a couple of times because I could swear I saw him setting up the twister. I kept watching, and sure enough, he did it. I started pointing at him and said "what the hell are you doing?" He smiled until Dave tapped. I kept looking over at him through the rest of class even while I was rolling myself, and I saw him do the twister two or three more times to different people. I asked him after class what he was up to. He just basically said he wanted to see how the move worked. Since then, I have never seen him do it again.

So, he saw a move once on DVD, and immediately applied it in sparring against a number of different resisting opponents without any practice of the move. He did it just so he understood the move and knew his judgement of it was correct (too sloppy) and has never seen the need to go back to it. He is that good.

I hate him.

No comments: