meta name="verify-v1" content="mxUXSoJWEFZKrtw31+uRroeKyRmf49ADfeiAbP3JB2o=" / Arizona Martial Gym: one step at a time

Monday, October 10, 2005

one step at a time

I really shouldn't be doing this post. My desk at work is covered in stuff I need to do, but I was thinking about the previous post, and how there is a secondary aspect to combatting having limited training time, and it is something I struggle with constantly. My experiences might help someone out there not repeat my mistakes.

This aspect I am talking about is focusing on one thing at a time, one day at a time. Unlike the early days of MMA, where good information was hard to find, nowadays we have info coming from everywhere; some of it good, some of it crap, and some of it pure gold. It is easy to see a new techinque in the latest issue of Grappling magazine, or on the internet. Or a new DVD is released featuring the current "best" fighter. Or a new book comes out showing the most innovative new moves. In a general sense, this is great. We no longer have to go to desperate lengths to improve our game. But sometimes it can be too much. For example, I am obsessed right now with improving my triangle and omomplata. Thanks to a suggestion from Adam Singer, I am working them from an overhook control from a closed guard. I am also working maniacally on the hip bump sweep. These two things work well together, so my training is heading in a defined direction. Now, this week in BJJ class, Megaton showed a couple of really cool sweeps from Koala guard. I liked them and practiced them. BUT, if I go out of my way to try to add them to my game right now along with my current focus, something will probably suffer. So I will concentrate on triangle-omomplata and come back later to these new sweeps.

Another example is my stand up focus. Right now I am working the jab and cross while stepping in and to my left, concentrating on landing with power and being tight with my structure and defense. That is the bulk of my hitting. A couple of my guys have needed some other stuff like working the overhand to help against a taller guy. Also, I am starting to see the body open up when I enter the way I am doing. BUT, I am still concentrating on just the jab-cross step in. I will probably do that for another few weeks, before any alterations.

To sum up. Decide on what part of your game you can work on and concentrate on it with like laser like intensity. If you learn some new stuff, put it on the back burner for a short time (a few weeks to a few months) and keep working on your plan. Do a regular mental review and update your plan when changes are needed. FOCUS, FOCUS, FOCUS, on the short term specific and the long term general will take care of itself.

No comments: