meta name="verify-v1" content="mxUXSoJWEFZKrtw31+uRroeKyRmf49ADfeiAbP3JB2o=" / Arizona Martial Gym: pay it forward

Thursday, December 22, 2005

pay it forward

I am always amazed when I read great thinkers and scientists talk about deep things. I love to try to figure things out that deal with the macro (i.e. "the universe"). But, on the whole, those things have only a small impact on my life. With the things I feel are neccesary to do, I don't have a lot of freedom to try to "fix" the world. However, I can do one thing on a regular basis that I feel makes some kind of contribution. That is the idea of paying it forward.

I am blessed. I have a great wife, fantastic kids, loving family, loyal and trusted friends. I make a decent living and I have some fredom to pursue the hobby (martial arts) that I love. So, wherever I can, I try to do some good for no reward. Sometimes it is bigger, sometimes it is smaller, but it is always something I try to hold in my heart.

For example, buying a nice dress for a teenage girl who otherwise would not have one because her parents can't afford it. Or, donating money to a charity. Or donating turkeys to poor people for the holidays. These are obvious ones, but there are others as well. Letting a person trying to merge into traffic. You don't think that is the same? Then you have obviously never driven rush hour in Phoenix. Plus it is something that can be done all the time. How about making sure you show the guy you are sparring with what he is doing wrong so he doesn't keep getting punched with a counter cross? Or on the mat, showing your partner how to counter the arm drag you keep nailing him with. These might be little things, but if everyone did them all the time, the cumulative result would be amazing.

Anyway, that is my holiday mesage. I hope everyone out there has a great Christmas . Yes, I know that is not a PC thing to say. So sue me. Merry Christmas and God bless us everyone.

No comments: