meta name="verify-v1" content="mxUXSoJWEFZKrtw31+uRroeKyRmf49ADfeiAbP3JB2o=" / Arizona Martial Gym: why I like Gracie Jiu-jitsu

Saturday, October 07, 2006

why I like Gracie Jiu-jitsu

I love brazilian jiu-jitsu. I love it so much that I spend the majority of my training time working it. That is not to say that I don't work the whole game. I do. I train stand up, clinch, BJJ, and (most importantly) the integration of all three. I also spend a little time on the pure "street" aspect, like unarmed weapon defense (all Red Zone - thanks Jerry!), and dealing with sucker punches (using the three point cover- thanks Rodney!) etc. On a rare occasion, I even get out the sticks and helmets and do my impression of the Dog Brothers. They are all important to being well rounded, and they all help to keep training fun. But, I probably spend between 60% - 70% of my weekly training doing pure BJJ. Why? Well, here are the main reasons.

1) Relatively safe - It is functional without being excessively damaging to the body - At 42 and someone who makes my living as a businessman who needs to look professional, this is so important. To have a functional fighting system, you must continually test yourself and your tecniques/ideas. That testing is sparring. Sparring (whether easy or hardcore) is essential. But getting hit or putting your body through the pounding of takedowns is hard on the body. Injuries, cuts, fat lips, black eyes, etc. are typical results. BJJ allows constant sparring but minimizes the risks. Yes, injuries happen (as I am writing this, I am nursing a good knee injury), and there is the occasional bump or cut. BUT, it is must less than a striking oriented art, and the torture your body goes through is nothing compared to wrestling or judo. I must know that what I am doing works, but I would like to be walking when I am 55 as well. BJJ addresses this better than anything else.

2) Fun - Simply put, it just is a lot of fun to do. The challenge of trying new things, pitting my skills against someone of superior physical ability, learning new things, all make this a fun art. Plus the fact that, in general, I have found the people involved in BJJ to be really decent human beings that are nice to be around.

3) Age is no barrier - Where else can I do a sport where I can participate with a world class athlete and my kids at the same time? Everyone can do it. Literally, from 5 years old to 95. One of the best matches I ever saw was in Brazil at the International Masters between two 60+ competitors. I like the idea that I won't have to give this up at a point in the future. I can keep it up as long as I am breathing. Can a Thai Boxer say the same thing?

4) Competition - If this is important to you, you will always find a place to compete. There are kids divisions, old fart divisions (where you will find me), and super athlete divisions. Male or female, it doesn't matter. And you can approach as fun, or as a serious athletic endeavor, where you might make a little money. BJJ has the entire spectrum.

5) It works! - This kind of goes with out saying. The fact that EVERY MMA champion has at least the basics of BJJ, and that the modern Army combatives program is about 80% BJJ pretty much shows it's effectiveness. BUT, the beauty of the art is such that if you disagree, you can challenge it at any time. Just be ready to eat crow at the end.

6) endlessly learning - The art is continually re-inventing itself, and seeking improvements every year. Just when you think you know everything about it, some new aspect reveals itself. And the true wonder lies in the continual improvement in the things you already know. By that I mean, you will always be able to perform that armbar a little better, that guardpass a little cleaner, as you keep training. The fundamentals can be refined almost infinitum.

Anyway, this is my perspective. I love the art. So there.

No comments: