meta name="verify-v1" content="mxUXSoJWEFZKrtw31+uRroeKyRmf49ADfeiAbP3JB2o=" / Arizona Martial Gym: Historical Parallels

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Historical Parallels

I don't feel like turning my blog into a political rant. It's generally boring, and usually repetitous. However, I do want to point out something. Most people don't know much of history. Many commentators pontificate without any understanding of things that have happened in even the not too distant past. Take the current Iraq war for instance. Many things are said about it, both for it and against it, without any knowledge of similar situations that have happened. If you don't learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it.

Along that vein, I would like to suggest that anyone interested read the book "The Do-Or-Die Men". It is in paperback so it is cheap. Basically, it is the story of the WW2 battle of Guadalacanl from the perspective of the 1st Marine Raider Battalion. Throughout the book, as I was reading it, I kept being struck by so many similarities to the Iraq war. So much so, it is freaky. If you can, read it. I doubt very much if you will be disappointed. I think you will be just as shocked as I was.

No comments: