meta name="verify-v1" content="mxUXSoJWEFZKrtw31+uRroeKyRmf49ADfeiAbP3JB2o=" / Arizona Martial Gym: movies as a learning tool

Sunday, August 13, 2006

movies as a learning tool

I like movies. I always have. I like all kinds of movies. If they are good enough, I will probably have a couple of lines of dialogue that I can recite verbatim. Once, in a very great while, a movie can actually teach a life lesson.

One of those lessons I use regularly is a line from Batman Begins.

"we fall down so we can learn to get back up"

When I saw Batman with my 10 year old son, I thought it was a perfect way of trying to teach him something. So we talked about that line and what it means. Now, I was hoping for a quick attempt to impart some wisdom. Using superheroes works really well with my kid. To my surprise, the lesson in that form really took hold. Now, months and months later, if I ask my son why we fall down, he will almost immediately chime back with "so we can learn to get back up!". It's a cool thought that hopefully he will remember when he encounters a problem in his life, maybe even as an adult. I keep praying that is so.

See, it isn't a waste to watch comic book movies!

No comments: