meta name="verify-v1" content="mxUXSoJWEFZKrtw31+uRroeKyRmf49ADfeiAbP3JB2o=" / Arizona Martial Gym: recommended reading 1

Friday, September 16, 2005

recommended reading 1

Alright. I need to lighten things up after yesterday's post. So I will do the first installment of my recommended books to check out.

What little free time I have that I don't spend with my wife and kids or training, I spend reading. And I read everything. I usually read 4 - 5 books concurrently. There is usually a history and/or a biography, a martial art or physical/mental training book, and one mindless fiction novel. I prefer non-fiction that can teach me something or inspire me, but sometimes an escapist adventure or humor book is just the right medicine. In that vein, my first recommendations are just that - escapist.

The John Rain series by Barry Eisler. There are four novels; Hard Rain, Rainfall, Rainstorm, and Killing Rain. All are terrific stories about Rain, who is a hitman with (sort of) an ethical code. They feature some great action, very interesting and different characters and plots, international intrigue, and even some humor. Eisler is a judo and BJJ practitioner who writes some of the best fight scenes in any book ever. And the character of Rain himself is a fairly unique creation. One of the enjoyable things about reading the series is that in each novel, Rain grows and changes. My favorite book is the second, Rainfall. I think that has the best overall story. But I am also partial to the last two because it features the character of Dox, who is a perfect foil for Rain. Their interaction provides some of the most engaging dialogue in the series.

Give them a try when you want to cut loose and not think too much for a couple of hours. You won't regret it.

No comments: